A few weeks ago I sat down and worked out which tattoos correspond to which gods in the Elven Pantheon. There’s actually enough lore out there to do this with a reasonable amount of certainty.
- Andruil: Bow to represent Goddess of the Hunt
- Dirthamen: Book to represent where the Dalish keep their secrets/lore.
- Elgar’nan: Cracked earth and dark/light. Duality theme from legend.
- Falon’din: Same general shape of Falon’din’s statues. Less organic than the other tattoos; Falon’din is the God of the Dead.
- Ghilain’nain: Mother of the Halla. These are obviously halla horns.
- June: God of the Craft. Brought woodworking to the Dalish. In return the Dalish emblazoned the most basic tools of the trade across their FACE. Awesome.
- Mythal: Tree. Mythal returned life to the world after Elgarn’nan fought with the sun. Mythal’s flame is kept near the Tree of the People in the center of Alienages. Lingering scrap of Elven culture? Single trees are planted over dead bodies. Life from death.
- Sylaise: Hearthkeeper. Gave fire to the Dalish. Can clearly see a torch in the tattoo. Also vines/rope, other marks of Sylaise, and thread/cloth detail on the complex version.
Fen’Harel and the Forgotten Ones have no vallaslin. Shocking.
this is…majorly awesome. every time i think i can’t be delighted by dragon age lore, attention to detail, and fan intelligence and research, i am. every time. a fantastic resource and just, yeah, something i need to have on my dash immediately.
Reblogging this for reference. (For my Inquisitor. *grin*)
Ok, that is FANTASTICALLY AWESOME.
Seriously. I’m so excited that this is now here.
If only there was a way to do this with Turian facial tattoos…. x.x (I’m 99% sure that the turian tats are just, HEY LETS PAINT LINES AND SMUDGES AND MIX IT UP A BIT, NO ONE WILL CARE WHICH COLONY THEY’RE ABOUT, RIGHT?!)
It’s interesting to note that this isn’t all the vallaslin we see on the dalish NPCs in-game. (DA2)Merril’s isn’t here, and Keeper Marethari’s DA2 one has more complex Dirthamen markings (possibly merged with another one? I can’t tell).
Keeper Marethari has Sylaises’s markings in DAO, and DA2 Merrill still has Falon’Din, which was reworked for DA2 based on what I can tell.
DA2 Marethari looks like she received Dirthamen after becoming a keeper, and they were done over another set. You’re thinking what I’m thinking, here.
At least that’s my Marethari headcanon. I’m not sure why they redid her vallaslin. Maybe their creative team decided all keepers needed Dirthamen vallaslin, considering their role and its significance.